NRF has been conducting its annual back-to-school and back-to-college surveys since 2003 with Prosper Insights & Analytics to see how American families will shop for clothing, supplies and other items for the next school year. Check out the resources below for a deep dive into the 2023 back-to-class season.
Consumers are expected to spend record amounts for both back-to-school and back-to-college shopping this year. Back-to-school spending is expected to reach an unparalleled $41.5 billion, up from $36.9 billion last year and the previous high of $37.1 billion in 2021. Back-to-college spending is expected to hit $94 billion, about $20 billion more than last year’s record. Watch the webinar.
Slideshow: Click through the interactive slideshow for insights from NRF and GfK on generational and back-to-class trends.
Check out back-to-school vs. back-to-college spending habits of consumers this season.
Press release: Families prioritize back-to-school spending amidst inflation
Video: 2022 Back-to-school trends
Slides: 2022 Retail overview
- Article: A summer snapshot of back-to-school trends
- Podcast: A look at back-to-school 2021 consumer research
- Press release: 2021 Brings back-to-class shopping to record levels
- Video: 2021 Back-to-school trends
- Article: How brands can use social to connect with Gen Z
- Press release: Coronavirus could push back-to-school spending to record level
August survey: Back-to-school shopping update: Halfway done but more to do
- July survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $82.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Back-to-Class shopping continues as school begins
- Podcast: How Gen Z shapes back-to-school shopping
- Slideshow: Top trends for 2018 back-to-school and college shopping
- Spotlight: Hispanic back-to-school shoppers
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and back-to-college spending to reach $83.6 billion
- August consumer survey: More parents holding off on back-to-school shopping
- Article: Class is in session — 3 lessons for retailers this back-to-school season
- Infographic: Back-to-class with NRF
- Slideshow: Back-to-school and back-to-college
- July consumer survey: Back-to-school and college spending to reach $75.8 billion
- August consumer survey: Families aren’t finished with back-to-school shopping
- Article and SlideShare: A look at 2016’s top trends
- Infographic: A closer look at back-to-school shopping